ARTogether’s Artistic and Music Director will act as the leader and visionary for the ARTogether Music Club. The Director will guide the Club’s program development and structure, working with ARTogether to create a safe and welcoming space for Oakland International High School (OIHS) students to connect, explore and create music together. In addition, the Director will teach classes twice a week and engage with students directly.
Responsibilities for this position will include:
* Teaching and leading students in after-school sessions twice a week at OIHS. Session activities will include, but will not be limited to:
* Individual and group instruction teaching students how to play musical instrument(s).
* Leading participatory musical bands and/or ensembles for students, including weekly practices and scheduled performances.
* Leading the overall design and direction of the ARTogether Music Club, in partnership and coordination with ARTogether and OIHS.
* Inviting guest Bay Area musicians and artists to sessions as guest lecturers and participants.
* Developing Club activities and lesson plans for students that feature music and music performance, including those of guest Bay Area musicians and artists acting as guest speakers.
* Coordinating, supervising, and managing all aspects of the Club’s program.
* Implementing, monitoring, and maintaining progress with group and individual instruction, rehearsals, and performances by students.
* Keep track of students attendance and coordinate with school administration
Prerequisites for candidates for this position will include:
* A talent for and love of teaching, with experience and enthusiasm for teaching music to youth.
* Program development, organization and administrative skills.
* Experience with and proficiency in a variety of musical instruments, including major band instruments such as guitar, percussion, and piano.
* Experience working with musical ensembles, and experience and/or aptitude in leading musical bands and/or groups
* Connections with Bay Area musicians and artists, with the ability to invite artists to the Club as guest lecturers.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to speak one or more of the following languages is highly preferred: Spanish, Mam, Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Amharic, Tigrinya, French, Vietnamese, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
Must be able to regularly and reliably lead the ARTogether Music Club twice a week at the OIHS campus. Class will be on two weekdays (days to be announced) from 3:00pm to 5:00pm for the full academic school year, from September 2021 to June 2022. Must also be able to attend all Club performances and festival appearances.
Oakland International High School (4521 Webster St) in Oakland, California.
Based on experience.
Please fill out this application.
ARTogether is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that seeks to strengthen communities through the creative arts, support and promote refugee and immigrant artists, and develop public art projects that raise awareness about the refugee and immigrant experience. Based in Oakland, California, ARTogether’s mission is “to provide art programs that foster compassionate communities where refugees and immigrants can flourish.”